Advanced care planning helps anyone, healthy or ill, communicate their wishes for medical treatment.
At any age, a medical crisis could leave someone too ill to make their own medical decisions. An advanced care plan provides information to others about your wishes in case illness or injury prevents you from telling them yourself.
You may never face a medical situation where you are unable to express your wishes. But having an advanced directive may give you and your family some peace of mind.
Advanced Care Planning is a Process of:
- Clarifying your values and health care goals
- Understanding your treatment options
- Weighing your options about what kind of care and treatment you would want or not want
- Making decisions about whether you want to appoint a health care agent or complete a health care directive
- Communicating your wishes in writing in a document called an advance directive or health care directive.
- Click here to download a Tipsheet on Advance Care Planning (pdf) from the National Institute on Aging.
- Click here to download a Health Care Directive Form (pdf)from Honoring Choices Minnesota.
- Click here to learn about the Gift of Life with Organ Donation choices and options from Donate Life America.
Free Advanced Care Planning Seminar
At this class you will learn about advanced care planning and receive assistance in completing a health care directive. Free monthly sessions are offered at Hutchinson Health the second Thursday of each month at 3PM – check the schedule here. Call (320) 484-4522 to register.